Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Schinnen Sort Center

I wrote about the Schinnen Sort Center a few months ago in a post about recycling. You can check it out at this LINK

Update: Now that Schinnen is no longer its own organization but just a satellite installation of the USAG BENELUX it falls under their rules. To save money (presumably) USAG BENELUX has ordered the closing of the Sort Center effective 1 September 2012. After that date they will only accept metal for recycling. You are then expected to utilize your community's recycle facilities. Most of you should have received a schedule from RD4. If you cannot read Dutch you'll need to find someone to translate it for you.

Now, it is just an observation from many years of military service but my prediction is that most Americans will not use the RD4 services and will instead throw most of their recyclables in the normal trash. I hope you all prove me wrong but considering how much garbage and other contaminants are usually mixed in with the recyclables at Schinnen I am not holding my breath.

This closing will also mean that you will have no place to throw out your un-needed items when PCS time comes around. You can take these things to the RD4 site IF you kept your free cards that came with the recycle schedule. You can read more about Rd4, only in Dutch, at their website: Rd4

1 comment:

  1. My thoughts exactly. I am sad the recycling center is closing, it was so convenient. My fear is also that less people will be willing to recycle, hope I am wrong

    ReplyDelete